Alcohol and drug abuse has emerged as a serious concern in India with more children, adolescents, and young adults susceptible to substances and developing long term consequences. Christites Against Substance Abuse (CASA) is an initiative by the Student Association of the academic year 2020-2021 to contribute to the measures taken by the university to create and maintain a campus environment that is free of all forms of substance abuse. CASA is committed to its mission of building an active community of volunteers, peer educators, faculty, experts, and counsellors dedicated to raising awareness about issues involving substance abuse.
As young leaders of tomorrow, CASA realizes the immense responsibilities on our shoulders to call for a collective action to support the realization of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The activities of the cell are dedicated to the realization of Goal 3 of the 2030 Agenda, ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all of all ages, with a specific focus on Target 3.5, strengthen the prevention and treatment of substance abuse, including narcotic drug abuse and harmful use of alcohol.
Objectives of CASA
- To build an active peer community that strives to raise awareness on issues involving substance abuse by planning and organizing prevention activities at various levels
- To encourage and support the various initiatives or projects of the department and the students aimed at substance abuse prevention, and to create opportunities for research and service-learning
- To create a safe and inclusive environment that can facilitate discussions on substance abuse prevention, addiction, treatment, rehabilitation, and recovery
CASA and Nasha Mukt Bharat Abhiyan
CASA will work at the forefront of the University’s mission to develop the institution as a hub for nurturing clubs and other platforms to achieve the targets under the aegis of Nasha-Mukt Bharat Abhiyan. CASA will take the lead in initiating and coordinating awareness generation programmes at various levels within the university, and support the initiation and formation of youth clubs within the urban slum communities and schools adopted by the University.
Specific Objectives with Regard to Nasha Mukt Bharat Abhiyan
- Educate and train the CASA volunteers on various issues involving substance abuse by organizing workshops and interactions with experts
- Organize awareness generation programmes within the University through peer education, campaigns, workshops, service learning, certificate courses, competitions, etc.
- Take the lead in the initiation and formation of youth clubs in the project areas and support the various capacity building exercises and training programmes organised by the University by mobilising the energy and potential of the youth towards the development of their community
The Association had initiated the formation of CASA Core Committee 2020-2021 by the second week of March. The aim for the rest of the current academic year was to build a strong foundation for the full functioning of CASA from the next academic year.